Login |  Register |  help

#4 Cornell beats Notre Dame, Vedder

Posted Sunday, March 04, 2007 by .
No. 4 Cornell Men's Lacrosse Rolls Past No. 8 Notre Dame

McMonagle makes 15 saves in battle of top goalies.

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

David Mitchell led the Big Red with three goals vs. Notre Dame.

Men's Lacrosse Home

No. 4 Cornell Men's Lacrosse Rolls Past No. 8 Notre Dame
No. 4 Men's Lacrosse Looks for Third Straight Win vs. No. 8 Notre Dame

Men's Lacrosse vs. Notre Dame Game to be Available on Live Video Webcast

0 Follow all of the college lacrosse action at CollegeSports.com

3 Email this to a friend

March 3, 2007

Box Score

HEWLETT, N.Y. - The No. 4 Cornell University men's lacrosse team used an 11-1 scoring run to blow open a tied game as it defeated No. 8 Notre Dame, 13-8, at Hewlett High School on Long Island on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Big Red improves to 3-0 on the season while handing the Fighting Irish their first loss of the year (2-1).

Seniors David Mitchell and Brian Clayton led Cornell with four points each, with Mitchell scoring a game-high three goals. Clayton tallied two goals, along with Eric Pittard, Henry Bartlett and Chris Finn. Pittard also added an assist, while John Glynn registered three points on the day with a goal and two helpers.

Notre Dame received two goals each from Will Yeatman and Brian Hubschmann.

Between the pipes, both teams received outstanding performances from their netminders with Matt McMonagle making 15 saves, including several acrobatic shots from point-blank range, to earn the win, while Joey Kemp stopped 13 in the loss.

One of the best performances of the day for the Big Red came in the face off circle as Tommy Schmicker dominated, winning 18-of-24 (.750) against Taylor Claggett (5-of-21). Schmicker also picked up a game-high 11 ground balls.

Cornell held the edge in shots, 48-34, and ground balls, 39-30. The Big Red scored on 2-of-3 extra man opportunities, while the Irish converted its only attempt.

The teams traded goals to open the game with Yeatman scoring at the 12:14 mark to put the Irish up one. Pittard answered from in close, scoring off a perfect feed from Mitchell to knot the game at 1-1.

Clayton struck first in the second quarter to put Cornell up, 2-1, but a failed clear with 11:10 to play in the second resulted in an empty net goal by Hubschmann to tie the game at 2-2.

From there, Cornell would get five unanswered goals, including two from Finn, and a goal by Max Seibald, who ignited his hometown crowd, scoring with less than a second remaining to give the Big Red the 7-2 lead at half time.

Notre Dame scored first coming out of the break as Peter Christman scored at the 14:22 mark to make it 7-3, but back-to-back goals by Mitchell ignited another 5-0 scoring run by the Big Red, putting Cornell up, 12-3 with 3:25 remaining in the third period.

The Fighting Irish outscored Cornell, 5-1 to close the game, but it was too little, too late as the Big Red claimed the victory.

Cornell is back in action on Saturday, March 10 as it travels to West Point to take on Army at 1 p.m

This page was created in 0.0938 seconds on server 132