Login |  Register |  help

Vedder, #3 Cornell beat Army

Posted Sunday, March 11, 2007 by .
Cornell men stay hot, cool off Army 7-4

March 10, 2007
from press releases

Photo: Matt Cashore

West Point, NY - Two late goals by senior Brian Clayton helped to seal a 7-4 victory for the No. 3 Cornell men's lacrosse team as it defeated No. 9 Army this afternoon at Michie Stadium. Despite never trailing in the game, the Big Red also never led by more than two goals until Clayton scored his second of the game with 1:46 remaining in the game. The contest was a tightly fought battle with Cornell's high scoring offense being held in check by the stingy defense and deliberate offense of the Black Knights.

Cornell (4-0) was led by Clayton with two goals and one assist, while senior David Mitchell also added two goals. Senior Eric Pittard was the only other multi-point scorer for the Big Red with one goal and one assist.

Army (4-1) was led by Ryan Chase's two goals.

Both teams took 35 shots, but the Big Red held the slight 35-33 advantage in ground balls. For the third straight game, Cornell also held the advantage in face offs, as sophomore Tommy Schmicker won 8-of-15 attempts and picked up a team-high seven ground balls in the process. The Big Red converted 1-of-2 man-up opportunities, while Army scored on 2-of-3 chances.

In net, both Matt McMonagle and Adam Fullerton stopped eight shots as McMonagle picked up the win for Cornell.

The Big Red wasted no time getting on the board as Schmicker won the opening face off, streaked up field and found Pittard, who scored just 12 seconds into the game to give the visitors an early 1-0 lead.

Sophomore John Espey would tally Cornell's second goal when he received a pass behind the goal, swept around to the front of the cage, beat his man and then beat Fullerton up high to make it 2-0 at the 11:06 mark.

Neither team would score again for the remainder of the quarter, but with less than two minutes to play, McMonagle came up with a point-blank save on shot by Kevin LoRusso. Army picked up with the loose ball after the save, but McMonagle snatched a Black Knight pass out of the air and started the break the other way to preserve the Big Red lead.

After winning the face off to begin the second stanza, a Cornell turnover gave Army its first possession of the quarter and the Black Knights wasted little time, as Chase scored just 50 seconds in to make it a 2-1 contest.

Mitchell gave the Big Red back its two-goal advantage as he took a pass from sophomore John Glynn and ripped a low bounce shot past Fullerton to make it 3-1 at the 11:06 mark.

Again, neither team could manage to find the back of the net for the remainder of the quarter, but Fullerton came up with two big saves with less than two minutes to play in the half and gave the Black Knights a chance to cut into the two-goal deficit. Army controlled the ball as time wound down, but with 10 seconds remaining, Matt Moyer picked off an Army pass, and the Big Red took the 3-1 advantage into half time.

Turnovers plagued the Big Red as the third quarter began, but Army could not take advantage of the miscues until Brooks Korvin rocketed a shot past McMonagle to make it 3-2 at the 8:09 mark.

Just over three minutes later, Cornell got its first goal of the quarter as Mitchell received a perfect pass from Clayton and scored from 5-yards out to make to 4-2.

A critical Cornell penalty with less than four minutes remaining in the quarter gave Army its second extra-man opportunity of the game, and this time the Black Knights converted, as Hunter Wakeland scored at the 3:10 mark to make it a one goal game, 4-3.

The Big Red used some patient offense of its own to work the clock in the closing minutes of the third quarter and with 42 seconds remaining, Cornell earned its first extra-man opportunity of the game. Max Seibald ripped a shot that ricocheted off the post, but Pittard picked up the loose ball, passed it back to Seibald and the sophomore midfielder didn't miss on his second chance, making it a 5-3 game with 20.9 showing on the clock.

The decisive fourth quarter started slowly, just as the third quarter had, and Army made it a one goal game when Chase blasted a shot past McMonagle on a man-up advantage to make it 5-4 with 8:13 to play.

The Black Knights came up with possession off the en suing face off, but a huge save by McMonagle gave the Big Red the ball back. Cornell's next offensive possession came up short, however, and a save by Fullerton put Army back on offense with 4:24 remaining in the game.

Army took a time out as soon as it crossed midfield but coming out of the break senior Ethan Vedder intercepted a Black Knight pass and sent the ball up field to Seibald, who worked it into the Cornell offensive zone.

Back-to-back goals by Clayton put the Big Red up by three goals, with the first coming at the 3:07 mark as he fought off his defender and ripped a shot past Fullerton to make it 6-4. His second goal came with under two minutes to play as he fought through a double-team and beat Fullerton, who had come out of the cage in an attempt to force a turnover.

A one-minute slashing penalty by Army, which occurred as Clayton scored, helped the Big Red to run out the clock as Cornell took the 7-4 victory.

Cornell will enjoy a 10-day hiatus before traveling to Durham, N.C., to take on No. 1 Duke at Koskinen Stadium at 7 p.m.

Box Score

1 2 3 4 F
Cornell - Big Red [M] 2 1 2 2 7
Army - Black Knights [M] 0 1 2 1 4
Cornell - GOALS: Mitchell, David 2; Clayton, Brian
2; Pittard, Eric 1; Seibald, Max 1; Espey, John 1.
ASSISTS: Glynn, John 1; Pittard, Eric 1; Schmicker, Tommy 1
Saves: Matt McMonagle 8
Army - GOALS: CHASE,Ryan 2; KORVIN, Brooks 1;
WAKELAND, Hunter 1
ASSISTS: BOKMEYER, Justin 1; LoRUSSO, Kevin 1; MORSE, Alex 1
Saves: Adam Fullerton 8

This page was created in 0.0938 seconds on server 132