Login |  Register |  help

McCalls, UNC fall to Maryland

Posted Sunday, March 25, 2007 by .
COLLEGE PARK, MD. - Brian Phipps led No. 9 Maryland with 15 saves while allowing only seven goals as the Terrapins defeated No. 11 North Carolina 14-8 in men's lacrosse action at Chevy Chase Bank Field Saturday afternoon. Maryland won its fifth game in a row to improve to 7-2 overall and 1-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference while the Tar Heels dropped their second straight match and fell to 6-3 overall and 0-2 in the ACC.

Maryland had a balanced offensive attack with 10 different players scoring in the match. Dan Groot led the Terps with three goals while Michael Phipps and Thomas Alford had two goals apiece.

For Carolina, midfielders Ben Hunt and Rob Driscoll each scored two goals while Gavin Petracca had a goal and an assist.

Maryland opened the scoring with 11:51 left in the first quarter when sophomore midfielder Jeremy Sieverts drove to the right side and scored past Grant Zimmerman for a quick 1-0 lead. Just 40 seconds later the Terps broke a UNC clearing attempt and in an unsettled situation Michael Phipps scored on a bounce shot to make the score 2-0. The Tar Heels cut the lead to 2-1 at 9:41 when Nick Tintle picked up a ground ball behind the net and rolled the crease and scored past Brian Phipps, beating a double team in the process. The goal was an extra-man tally for Carolina.

At 8:54, Maryland made it 3-1 when Dan Groot scored from the outside on the left side on a hard and high shot to the upper right. At 4:25 the Terps scored on a fast break as Michael Phipps extended the lead to 4-1 for Maryland after Brian Phipps had saved a shot by Tim Kaiser at the other end. Maryland made the score 5-1 at 1:59 when Chris Feifs scored on a hard outside shot after taking a pass from behind the goal by Michael Phipps. Maryland made the score 6-1 just five seconds before the end of the quarter on a goal by Adam Sear on an outside shot.

Maryland improved its lead to 8-1 with two goals in the last three minutes of the first half. With 2:48 left in the half, Thomas Alford scored on a great individual move past a pair of UNC defenders. Then it became 8-1 with 1:15 left in the first half on a goal by Drew Evans from 15 yards out, assisted by Chris Feifs.

The Heels ended the half on a high note on a 2-0 starting with 13 seconds to play as Ben Hunt beat his defender and scored from 12 yards out pas Phipps. The Tar Heels won the ensuing face-off and Bart Wagner took a pass to the left of the crease from Nick Tintle and punched one home with three seconds to play before intermission.

The Tar Heels got the first goal of the second half with 8:38 left in the third quarter on a fast break situation as Rob Driscoll scored an unassisted goal. The Terps scored with 1:20 left in the third quarter as Dan Groot scored his second goal of the game as he drove the left side to put the Terps back up by a margin of five goals. The Heels answered that goal with a tally by Ben Hunt as he scooped up a loose ball in front of the crease and scored with five seconds left in the quarter.

The Terps pushed their lead to 10-5 with 12:11 to play in the game when Thomas Alford scored from 18 yards out off an assist by Jeremy Sieverts. With 10:50 left in fourth quarter The Terps moved ahead 11-5 as Dan Groot scored his third goal of the game, driving left and going short side high for the goal.

The Terps equaled their biggest lead of the game with 10:01 left in the fourth quarter as Danny Gallagher took a pass from Jon Beard a scored on a skimming underhanded shot to make the score 12-5. Max Ritz scored on a five-on-five situation with 6:51 left in the game to give Maryland its biggest lead of the game at 13-5.

Gavin Petracca scored with 5:11 to play on a behind the back shot to cut the Terps' lead to 13-6. Carolina scored with exactly four minutes to play as Ryan Walterhoefer took a pass in front of the crease and scored on the extra-man opportunity. Gavin Petracca assisted on the goal. The Tar Heels scored with 3:38 to play on Rob Driscoll's second goal of the game to pull Carolina within five goals as the Heels mounted a late-game rally. But with 1:23 to play in the game Jimmy Borrell scored an unassisted goal shortly after the Terps killed off a UNC extra-man chance to make the score 14-8.

North Carolina ousthot Maryland 41-35 and each team had 34 ground balls. The Tar Heels also won 17 of 24 face-offs. Maryland made 16 saves while the Tar Heels had eight saves in the match.

Carolina will return home for a game next Saturday as the Tar Heels host No. 3-ranked Johns Hopkins at Kenan Stadium at 2 p.m. It is Carolina's first game at Kenan Stadium since the Tar Heels beat Fairfield there 18-9 on April 15, 2006.

This page was created in 0.1094 seconds on server 132