Login |  Register |  help

Vedder, Cornell move to 8-0-face Cuse Tues night

Posted Monday, April 09, 2007 by .
Top-Ranked Cornell Moves to 8-0 with Win over Harvard

ITHACA, N.Y. -- One week after the starting attack registered 17 points in a victory over Penn, it was the midfields time to shine as juniors John Glynn (Lindenhurst, N.Y.), and John Espey (Commack, N.Y.), along with sophomore Rocco Romero (Denver, Colo.), combined for six goals and six assists to lead the No. 1 Cornell University men's lacrosse team to a 15-6 victory over Harvard this afternoon at Schoellkopf Field. With the victory, the Big Red remains perfect on the season, improving to 8-0 overall and 3-0 in the Ivy League. The Crimson, which entered the game on a two-game winning streak, fell to 2-5 overall and 1-1 in the conference.

Glynn led the Big Red, matching a career-high six points with two goals and four assists on the afternoon. Senior Henry Bartlett (Huntingdon Valley, Pa.) was the beneficiary of all four of Glynn's assists as he also matched a career-high with four goals. Espey and Romero each tallied two goals and one assist, while senior Eric Pittard (Skaneateles, N.Y.) and junior Tom Corbolotti (San Francisco, Calif.) each registered one goal and one assist.

Harvard was led by Brian Mahler's three points, off two goals and one assist, while Carle Stenmark scored twice. Greg Cohen was the Crimsons only other multi-point scorer with one goal and one assist.

The Big Red doubled-up Harvard in shots, 52-26, and held the slight edge in ground balls, 29-25, but a strong commitment to the ride by Cornell caused problems for the Crimson all day long, forcing Harvard to go 15-of-26 on clear attempts, while turning the ball over 30 times.

The Crimson held the advantage in the face-off circle, as John Henry Flood won 14-of-23 attempts, and got a solid afternoon out of their goalie Joe Pike, who made 12 saves.

Senior Matt McMonagle (Bryn Mar, Pa.) made eight saves between the pipes for the Big Red.

Harvard got on the board first when Stenmark made a hard dodge, slipped his man and bounced a shot from close range past McMonagle to give the visitors the 1-0 lead at the 13:50 mark.

Cornell's first two offensive possessions turned out to be fruitless, but the third time was the charm as a pass from Glynn, on the left wing, to Bartlett, directly in front of the cage, knotted that game at 1-1 with 9:49 to play in the first quarter.

Just over two minutes later, the visitors struck again, this time with the goal coming from Evan Calvert, who converted off a pass from Cohen immediately after the Big Red killed its first man-down of the game.

Glynn brought the game to back to even, however, with a rocket from 10-yards out into the upper right corner of the goal, off a pass from Espey. That tally began a six-goal run for the Big Red.

With two minutes remaining in the quarter, Corbolotti registered the first assist of his career, finding senior Casey Lewis (Clifton Park, N.Y.) directly in front of the crease. Lewis converted with a brilliant no-look shot to put the Big Red up, 3-2.

After losing the face-off to open the second half, the Cornell defense forced another turnover, Harvard's 11th of the afternoon to that point, and Glynn made it 4-2 with a goal from the far left wing.

Espey tallied his first goal of the game just under one minute later when he collected a pass from sophomore Max Seibald (Hewlett, N.Y.) and buried it in the back of the net.

The combination of Bartlett and Glynn hooked up again to tally the Big Reds sixth goal of the game and Cornell ran the score to 7-2 when Corbolotti registered his first career goal off a pass from Romero at the 7:32 mark.

Just over one minute later, Harvard's Mahler ended the Big Red run when his shot from point-blank range was initially saved by McMonagle before rolling into the back of the net to make it 7-3.

The next five minutes were relatively quiet for both teams, but two late goals by Cornell gave the home team a 9-3 advantage going into the break. The first goal came when Pittard slipped a pass to Romero, who scored from close range while being pushed to the ground. The second goal, which was scored with 14 ticks remaining on the clock, came when Pittard took the ball from the endline, rolled around the left side of the goal, cut back and ripped a shot from an impossible angle to tally his only goal of the game.

Cornell opened the third quarter with back-to-back goals, with the first coming from the familiar tandem of Bartlett-Glynn. For the third time of the afternoon, Glynn sent a perfect pass to Bartlett, who finished, making it 10-3 at the 12:33 mark. With just under 10 minutes to play in the quarter, senior David Mitchell (Moose Jaw, Sask.) notched his only goal of the game when he beat his defender with a hard dodge and scored from close range.

Despite the Big Red winning the ensuing face-off, tough defensive pressure by Harvard forced a turnover and the Crimson started the break the other way. Cohen converted on the other end, scoring off a pass from Mahler to make it 11-4 with 9:33 to go in the third quarter.

It took nearly six minutes before another tally went up on the scoreboard, but Bartlett and Glynn hooked up for the fourth time to make it 12-4 at the 3:46 mark.

With time winding down in the third quarter, Harvard's Sean Whittsitt turned the ball over in front of the Cornell goal and McMonagle scooped the ball and sent a long pass up field. One more pass found Cornell with the ball just outside the crease, and Ethan Vedder ripped a shot that hit the post, but Romero snagged the rebound and buried it in the back of the net just as time expired to give the Big Red the 13-4 lead.

The Crimson registered the first goal of the final stanza as Stenmark tallied an unassisted goal at the 11:58 mark to make it 13-5, but Cornell responded with an unassisted goal from Espey less than two minutes later.

The Big Red registered its first man-up goal of the game when sophomore Chris Finn (Manhasset, N.Y.) scored off a pass form classmate Kyle Doctor (Skaneateles, N.Y.) to take a 10-goal advantage, 15-5, with 6:30 left in the contest.

Mahler notched Harvard's last goal of the game as he found the back of the net with 2:39 to play to account for the 15-6 final.

Cornell is back in action later this week as it travels up I-81 to take on instate rival, Syracuse at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday, April 7 at 7:00 p.m.

This page was created in 0.1406 seconds on server 132