Login |  Register |  help

Raniolo, Fairfield lose 8-7 to #5 Georgetown

Posted Monday, April 09, 2007 by .
No. 5 Georgetown Holds off No. 19 Fairfield, 8-7

Kocis Delivers Game-Winning Goal as No. 5 Georgetown Tops Fairfield, 8-7

Washington, D.C. „ Freshman Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) scored with less than minutes left and No. 5 Georgetown held off a pair of chances from No. 19 Fairfield in the final minute as the Hoyas held on for an 8-7 win over the Stags in front of 1,524 fans on a cold, windy and snowy day on the Hilltop.

It was the second-consecutive win, and the fourth in the last five games, for Georgetown as they improve to 6-2 overall and 3-0 in league play. Fairfield, after opening the season with five-straight wins, falls to 5-3 overall and 1-3 in league play.

gTheyfre a pretty good team and we were fortunate to dodge a bullet today,h Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. g

The Hoyas led by three goals at the half (5-2), but Fairfield scored three times in the third and two more times in the fourth to tie the game at 7-apiece early in the final frame. Georgetown took seven shots in the ensuing 10 minutes and forced five Fairfield turnovers as both teams raced for the tie-breaking goal. Senior Ryan Still (Oreland, Pa./Penn Charter) forced the fifth turnover on the far sideline with 2:34 to play and sent the ball to junior Brendan Cannon (Haverford, Pa./The Haverford School). Cannon, behind the net, found Kocis about 10 yards out and the freshman rifled a shot past Michael Kruger for the eventual game-winner.

Fairfield got on board first with a shot from Mike Bocklet, giving the Stags a 1-0 lead at 10:39, but Georgetown senior Trevor Casey (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) scored an unassisted goal with 8:33 to play, tying the game.

The Stags picked up a goal from Bocklet again just over a minute later and went into the second quarter with a 2-1 advantage.

Georgetown caught fire in the second quarter, scoring four times to take a 5-2 lead at the break. Cannon scored an unassisted goal at 9:15 and then freshman Andrew Brancaccio (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) tallied another unassisted goal just over a minute later, giving the Hoyas their first lead of the game, 3-2. Junior Andrew Baird (Baltimore, Md./Loyola Blakefield) scored with 3:34 to play before the half, increasing the margin to 4-2 and then fed sophomore Ben Hostetler (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) for a goal with 53 seconds left, giving the Hoyas a 5-2 lead at the break.

Fairfield came out strong in the second half and scored three times in the opening seven minutes, tying the game at 5-all on Bockletfs third goal of the game with 8:31 left in the quarter. Less than a minute later, at 7:55, Cannon scored his first goal of the game, giving the Hoyas a 6-5 lead. The Hoyas increased the margin to 7-5 with 32 seconds left when Baird assisted Cannonfs second goal of the game.

Goals from Dan Boudreau and Greg Downing in the opening three minutes of the final quarter tied the game at 7-all, setting the stage for Kocisf heroics.

Cannon finished with two goals and two assists to lead Georgetown, while Baird added two goals and an assist. Kocis, Brancaccio, Casey and Hostetler each scored one goal for the Hoyas. Junior goalie Miles Kass (Rye, N.Y./Hotchkiss) had a strong day in goal, stopping 12 shots and recording four ground balls. Senior Christiaan Trunz (Manhasset, N.Y./Manhasset) won 12-of-19 faceoffs and freshman defender Barney Ehrmann (Baltimore, Md./Gilman School) had a team-high eight ground balls.

The Hoyas out-shot Fairfield, 38-29, and picked up 40 groundballs to the Stagsf 31.

Georgetown returns to action on Tuesday, April 10, traveling to play at Mount St. Maryfs. Face-off is slated for 4:00 p.m.

This page was created in 0.1094 seconds on server 132