NIce but remember the goal is title #7.
Baltimore, MD — For the first time in 2009, a new team sits atop the Under Armour/Inside Lacrosse High School Power Rankings. West Islip, after wins over Bay Shore, Patchogue-Medford and Smithtown East, took the top spot from Gilman, who dropped a fantastic game against Boys' Latin last Friday, 13-12. Gilman rebounded with a win over Archbishop Spalding and currently sits fourth in the top 25.
Calvert Hall continues its winning ways, extending their winning streak to 11 after dropping their opening game to Ontario's Hill Academy. Deerfield and LaFayette round out the top five with undefeated records.
Three teams dropped out of the Power Rankings. Kent Denver lost a pair of in-state matchups with Colorado powers Mullen and Cherry Creek. Upper Arlington lost to Columbus rival Worthington Kilbourne, who sits at No. 14 after the program's first-ever win over the Golden Bears. Rocky Point lost to Shoreham Wading-River, who debuted at No. 17.
Back again are the Regional Rankings, taking a look at the 10 best squads from around the country.
Plus, new for 2009 are weekly regional notebooks to fill you in on all the big stories around the country. Click here if you're interested in writing one for IL.
Make sure to visit InsideLacrosse.com every Thursday through the spring for our weekly in-season updates of the Under Armour/IL Power Rankings. As high school lacrosse grows, so do we so be sure to check in every week.
1. West Islip (N.Y.) (10-0)
2. Beat Bay Shore 16-7, Patchogue-Medford 19-1, Smithtown East 11-5. Next:
Tomorrow vs. Sachem North.
2. Calvert Hall (Md.) (11-1)
3. Beat Spalding 14-10, St. Paul’s 14-7. Next:
Tomorrow vs. Severn.
3. Deerfield (Mass.) (10-0)
5. Beat Phillips Andover 9-4, Northfield Mount Hermon 15-2. Next:
Saturday @ Hotchkiss.
4. Gilman (Md.) (10-1)
1. Lost to Boys' Latin 13-12, beat Spalding 14-8. Next:
Tomorrow @ St. Paul’s.
5. LaFayette (N.Y.) (9-0)
4. Beat Jordan-Elbridge 15-3, Cazenovia Central 11-10, Westhill 14-5. Next:
Today @ Homer.
6. Delbarton (N.J.) (9-1)
7. Beat Ridgewood 6-3, Montclair 12-11. Next:
Saturday @ Kinnelon.
7. Chaminade (N.Y.) (8-1)
11. Beat Iona Prep 12-7. Next:
Tomorrow vs. Holy Trinity.
8. St. Mary's Annapolis (Md.) (12-1)
18. Beat Loyola Blakefield 11-7, Friends 22-1. Next:
Tomorrow @ McDonogh.
9. La Salle (Pa.) (9-3)
16. Beat Haverford 10-3, St. Joe’s Prep 16-6, Northeast Catholic 17-1. Next:
Saturday @ Archbishop Ryan.
10. Saint Andrew's (Fla.) (24-0)
9. Beat Lake Highland Prep 15-2, Lake Brantley 19-5 for the FHSAA State Championship. Next:
11. West Genesee (N.Y.) (9-1)