Login |  Register |  help
Huskers Sports

Vercruysse '06, Siena lose to Hopkins Ranagan '09 scores 2nd

Posted Monday, March 01, 2010 by Inside Lacrosse

BALTIMORE, Md. - Brent Herbst played like an All-American and his defense contained the potent offense of No. 4 Johns Hopkins, forcing 29 turnovers. Herbst made nine saves but he was forced to take a penalty in stopping a breakaway with 1:17 left in regulation. Hopkins capitalized on man-up with 48 seconds left as he sat in the penalty box and escaped with the victory, 8-7.

"I was very pleased with our effort and the way we prepared," Head Coach Brian Brecht said. "Our assistant coaches did a great job preparing the team and we had a good week of practice leading up to the game."

The game evoked thoughts of two years ago when Siena knocked off a lacrosse power in Baltimore. Herbst made 16 saves as Siena upset No. 17 Loyola on March 18, 2008.

Johns Hopkins (3-0) rattled off six shots before Siena (0-2) had one, but Herbst made two saves and the other four were off cage. The teams played a scoreless first quarter with a combined 18 turnovers.

The Saints settled down and sophomore Chris D'Alberti put his team on top 1-0 just 32 seconds into the second quarter. It marked the first time Johns Hopkins has trailed this season.

Johns Hopkins answered as Kyle Wharton scored 12 seconds later and Steven Boyle made it 2-0 at the 2:48 mark. For the rest of the game, Hopkins would take the lead and Siena would claw its way back. John Rogener tied the game a little over a minute later when he beat his defender to the left and jump-shot it past goalie Mike Gvozden to the far post.

Hopkins scored three straight to take a 5-2 lead - its largest of the game - at the 11:23 mark of the third quarter.

D'Alberti and Rogener both scored their second goals of the game to bring Siena within one. Rogener dodged his man at X, came around the front of the cage and scored as he took a hit from the sliding defender.



Sophomore Bryan Neufeld scored on a broken play with one second left in the third quarter. With the clock winding down, Roth fired a pass in front that was deflected by a long pole defenseman, but the ball popped straight up to Neufeld on the crease and he slipped it past Gvozden.

Michael Kimmel scored his first goal of the game to put Hopkins up 7-5 with 12:51 left in the game. But Roth scored back-to-back goals in less than two minutes to tie the game with 4:21 left.

Senior Mike Whalen forced a Hopkins turnover with 1:38 on the clock and got the ball back for the Saints. Siena was poised to have the last possession in regulation and even if they didn't score, they could rely on overtime. But another costly turnover coming out of the defensive zone gave Boyle the ball all alone with no one to beat but Herbst. Herbst read the play, came sprinting out and hit Boyle before he could turn. Boyle flung the ball towards the empty net but it hit the post. Herbst was called for a 30-second penalty and Hopkins went man-up with back-up goalie Bill Kelly entering the game. Senior Faus Bernabo forced a turnover and it appeared Siena would get away unscathed, but the Saints couldn't control the loose ball and move it out of danger. Hopkins took the ball right back and Kimmel scored the game winner with 48 seconds left.

Both teams had 28 shots in the game. Hopkins had 29 turnovers and Siena had 28. Hopkins entered the game averaging 15 turnovers per game.

Wharton, who led the team with 34 goals last season, was held to one goal and one assist today. He was played primarily by senior captain Kyle Vercruysse.

Seniors Jordan Loftus and Matt Leithead did not play.

The Saints return to action on Tuesday when they play cross-town rival UAlbany in Albany, N.Y. Game time is scheduled for 6 p.m.

This page was created in 0.1563 seconds on server 8