Login |  Register |  help

Town over Somers 10-6

Varsity vs Somers HS on 5/3/2011 7:00:00 PM
Posted Wednesday, May 04, 2011 by Journal News Lohud

Yorktown over Somers 10-6 Tuesday night May 3rd at Charlie Murphy Field

Article by Mike Dougherty
Journal News     Lohud
Go to paper for complete article and pictures

YORKTOWN — Every single player on the roster was thoroughly scouted. Every single play call was committed to memory.

There were no surprises.

Somers clearly knew exactly what Yorktown was going to do, but could not keep up. Conor Gately and Ty Schuldt created matchup issues right from the start and built an early lead. A pesky defense made it stand up, allowing the 'Huskers to celebrate a 10-6 win Tuesday at Charlie Murphy Field.

It was only their second victory in the last six games.

"This was a much needed win," Gately said. "We lost to some good Long Island and Connecticut teams, but the Murphy Cup is coming up so we can use some confidence."

Lakeland/Panas will be stopping by on Saturday for the annual showdown.

There was a little back-and-forth in the opening minutes before Gately spotted Connor Vercruysse coming off a pick and set up the game's first goal five minutes in. The junior playmaker made it 2-0 in the final minute of the quarter when he got a step on a defender as he slipped around the cage and scored off a stick fake.

"Conor (Gately) is always dangerous behind the cage," Schuldt said. "He's got really great eyes and sees everything. You just have to keep moving and he'll find you."

Gately finished with two goals and two assists.

Justin Mabus added to the lead in the first minute of the second period, then Schuldt legged out a short-handed goal. Frank Fusco swiped a clearing pass and got a layup to make it 5-0 with 5:29 to play in the first half.

The Tuskers (7-4) weren't looking defeated, but they had to be feeling deflated.

"It killed us," Kieran Donohue said of the rough start. "We couldn't get a faceoff. We couldn't get anything going offensively. It's hard to score when your defense is chasing most of the half."

Chris Rios leaned into traffic and ripped in a goal with 3:23 left before halftime to get Somers on the board. A minute later, Gately set up Joey Raniolo for a soft goal that gave Yorktown a commanding 6-1 lead at the break.

Letting up has been an issue for the 'Huskers (7-4), but Schuldt came spinning under a long stick in the open minutes of the second half and netted another goal to make it a 7-1 lead. Kevin Cousin and Brett Emanuel got the Tuskers within four, but Schuldt stopped the run cold with his third goal and stretched the lead to 8-3. Schuldt finished with four goals and an assist.

Yorktown's defense was doing whatever it needed to do to remain disruptive.

"We still have a lot to work on," 'Huskers coach Dave Marr said. "The second half was still too helter-skelter. We made some mistakes and had too many turnovers, so the same monsters keep on creeping up."

Somers, though, couldn't seem to capitalize.

Every goal scored in the second half came with great effort. Time kept slipping away. Even when the Tuskers were a man up, there was little advantage.

"I don't know what our defense had for breakfast, but they were all playing hard," Schuldt said. "Eric Cooley. Trevor Koelsch. Tyler Fahey. Even the guys coming in off the bench were great. The whole game they were slapping and poking."

Rios and Cousin provided one last glimmer of hope with back-to-back goals eight minutes into the fourth quarter, but Gately slipped into the middle where there was no help and made it a 9-5 advantage with 2:34 remaining.

This page was created in 0.1094 seconds on server 132